Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lost this thread from server change. I'll try to repost all photos of install
Like to start off by saying this isn't for everyone or every car. We are just not ready for a correct resto on our daily driver. this application has a total cost of $475 for materials and took 18-20 hours to install. The car had sat for 18 years before we bought it three weeks ago. We washed the car with CLR and a scotch brite pad (light duty) and then dry, and apply Vinyl, This 3M vehicle graphic material is warranted for 5 years. The nice thing about this is we are driving it while getting color changed(no bodyshop down time) and this is removable without repercussions. and we can have our patina or perfect paint back with a peeling. this would be a great opportunity for a tri five owner with a single color car to two-tone their ride with minimal cost and down time(weekend project) without disaster
Day of purchase w/original 265

Some wheels and a CLR bath

And the wrapping starts,Color closest to Nassau blue

Now for some white
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/smokinb35/Lucys%20%
2056%20%20Wagon/IMG_20130821_202514_423_zps9c1173c5.jpg

Still have the window posts to complete

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
Thats an awesome job, this site and the members never cease to amaze me with what they come up with.

Sure is a beautiful job :congrats:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Amazing. :D

About 2 years ago, my wife and I were at a car show where a local graphics company was doing a "demo", wrapping a PT Cruiser.

We must have stood there for an hour watching them.

Chuck

·
Registered
67,788 Posts
very nice job, came out great. :tu ................ your good at what you do. :congrats:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That turned out good. Is it as smooth in person as it looks in the pics?
Terry
Yes, In some cases its better than paint, because there is no imperfections in the finish(consistent color) and if the body is prepped, it will come out PERFECT. which mine had major surface rust with rough spots that wasn't addressed, just because I wanted the cost to be very low with good bang for the buck results even with the little body imperfections on my car, this turned out fantastic. And when you walk up on the car you can't tell its vinyl. and feels super smooth and slick. Thank you for your positive feed back and not bashing me for doing this to a classic such as a '56 wagon. Trust me, I haven't gone off the deep end, just showing whats possible with vinyl.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That is amazing... I'll admit though, with new wheels, I liked the patina you had. I guess you can go right back to that if you change your mind later.

I tried to install one of those invisible clear bra things on the front of my Avalanche. Clearly I don't have the skills or patience to do that kind of work as I ended up wading it up and throwing it in the trash after an hour or so. I mourned my lack of skills with a Sam Adams. :)

Charlie

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow that's incredible stuff. I had no idea you could do stuff like that. What is that stuff called? Your wagon looked great with the patina look too. Thanks for showing that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow that's incredible stuff. I had no idea you could do stuff like that. What is that stuff called? Your wagon looked great with the patina look too. Thanks for showing that.
Thank you, The material is a 3M product designed for vehicles (Scotch Print)with every color imaginable. And yep I could have my original paint and patina back this morning IF we wanted too. But we'll run the shiny for awhile. we aren't trying to fool anyone by saying its paint. actually proud to tell them its a wrap and let them know its reversible with no repercussions.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
That couldn't be called anything less than a transformation. I will bet the majority of the people would never suspect that you didn't just get it painted. You made it look easy but i am sure this is not your first time. It looks fantastic.:tu:tu:tu

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That couldn't be called anything less than a transformation. I will bet the majority of the people would never suspect that you didn't just get it painted. You made it look easy but i am sure this is not your first time. It looks fantastic.:tu:tu:tu
It is my first complete color wrap, But I also own a Clear bra business here near a automall and we (my wife and myself)install and wrap clear paint protection on three to four cars a day.So we have experience in putting a sticker on without stretch marks or kinks. and we are car people and when you think about it without seeing it you think no way,not my car!! But then you look at it, touch it, and think Hmmmm....Options are endless. We moved into a short sale home and I left the garage cabinets up, and wrapped them in brushed stainless silver. and they look brand new and modern.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Hey Bill, You should join our merry band that call themselves the Northern California chapter of trifive.com. The hardcore members just did three shows in three weekends. Hot August Nights, the Stockton sailing club and Good Guys. Your 56 would fit right in since we have everything from show cars to drivers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Bill, You should join our merry band that call themselves the Northern California chapter of trifive.com. The hardcore members just did three shows in three weekends. Hot August Nights, the Stockton sailing club and Good Guys. Your 56 would fit right in since we have everything from show cars to drivers.
Sounds like an idea. Whens your meeting and gatherings posted

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought about taking the wrap a step farther, And wrap the jams. I will straighten the lines of the two tone with the finish trimming. Also put some BFgoodrich Silvertowns and chrome reversed wheels since the last post on this thread.
Question? What is the correct color for the insert ring of the small hub caps? Is this blue wrong? should it be white or black only? Might just run no caps and the corvette dust caps on the rears. Thoughts???

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Wrap

Why would you want to do something temporary instead of just painting the car. It's almost as difficult to remove as it is to install it.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Oh, you've installed and removed this product?. It's his car, as he stated $400 as compared to $4000 to $10000 for a paint job, that's probably why he did this. Besides, the craftsmanship is superb, at least it isn't a rust bucket wasting away out in some field. Sorry for the rant, I just appreciated his effort.
Why would you want to do something temporary instead of just painting the car. It's almost as difficult to remove as it is to install it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts