Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years collecting an restoring Pontiac GTO's and Trans Am's I am looking for something different.
A tri-five has always been on my wish list so my search begins.

I prefer something near the Chicago area but I do have connections in Charlotte, NC......Birmingham AL, Chattanooga and south Florida.

Looking for a complete driver quality car or an unfinished project for no more than 10K. Not interested in any 4 doors.

I search Craigslist and ebay religiously but thought I'd post here to see if anyone could help.:)

·
Registered
67,390 Posts
:hello: hi abe (from ill. :confused0006:) and welcome. good to have you here. good hunting! :anim_25:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome, sausage king.
The classified section here has some good
deals. You might want to raise your price
range to get a good starter car. A $10,000
tri5 needs total resto. Jmo
:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been away for awhile but now back and actively searching again.

Prefer something in the midwest.......

·
Registered
459 Posts
It took me 2 years to find one done in what I call daily driver status. I honestly dont think you will find one done for 10k. Maybe one that runs and drive and has had alot of work done. It seems they are getting fewer and far between. Use to you would see 100 or so on ebay now 60 on a good day. Good luck I hope you find one. Your in my area of searching.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I can't see you finding a 2 door hardtop for that money, I think you will need to pay more than that for a 2 door post

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
I can't see you finding a 2 door hardtop for that money, I think you will need to pay more than that for a 2 door post
I agree, anything road worthy, especially a HT will be hard to come by for anything less that 16 - 20k, and if it's got fresh paint, interior and motor, expect to pay over 30k for anything really nice.... good luck in your pursuit of happiness !! :tu BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lemme clarify what I am looking for:

Yes I do realize an above average or even an average driver cannot be bought for 10K so maybe I should have said "around" 10K. Here is a perfect example of a recent sale that was downright reasonable in price and would be in my garage now had I seen it earlier:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62392

I would also consider project cars or unfinished project cars as long as they are relatively complete and not some total basket case that would be beyond my ability to complete.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Another

Another one in Wabash, lot of good parts....1957 CHEVY DRAG/PRO STREET - $2800 This is a drag car. It could be fixed into a nice street car, but it as any project will take some money. The frame is very solid no rust. Been blasted and painted. Rear has a built 9" ford with chevy moser axles. 411 gears. Car has front disk brakes with disk setup booster. 2" drop spendles on front. Racing shocks all around. New tires in front.
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/2415599333.html

Buy the pair for $4800, use the disc frame for the hardtop, sell the leftovers.

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lemme clarify what I am looking for:

Yes I do realize an above average or even an average driver cannot be bought for 10K so maybe I should have said "around" 10K. Here is a perfect example of a recent sale that was downright reasonable in price and would be in my garage now had I seen it earlier:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62392

I would also consider project cars or unfinished project cars as long as they are relatively complete and not some total basket case that would be beyond my ability to complete.
This guy is just offering a good deal becuase he need the money from a quick sale. I think your 57s and 55s go alittle high too.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
No offense here, but I'm not sure I'd even consider a car from the mid-west given the rust issues that come with the humidity out there. I'd try Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico, Montana, Utah, Texas and maybe even the western Dakotas. Prices will be cheaper in rural areas too.

Here's a typical mid-west tri-five, replete with all the rust:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2401027539.html

(notice that the ad says southwest Iowa, even though it's on the Denver Craigslist).

You'd spend $5k replacing all the rusty panels and braces. I'd rather get a car with fewer rust issues and pay extra on the shipping/towing (you'll be hard-pressed to find one without any rust at all anywhere though).

·
Registered
459 Posts
No offense here, but I'm not sure I'd even consider a car from the mid-west given the rust issues that come with the humidity out there. I'd try Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico, Montana, Utah, Texas and maybe even the western Dakotas. Prices will be cheaper in rural areas too.

Here's a typical mid-west tri-five, replete with all the rust:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2401027539.html

(notice that the ad says southwest Iowa, even though it's on the Denver Craigslist).

You'd spend $5k replacing all the rusty panels and braces. I'd rather get a car with fewer rust issues and pay extra on the shipping/towing (you'll be hard-pressed to find one without any rust at all anywhere though).
You can still find them but they are few and far between for a decent one. I got lucky with my car it was only a street care for a few years and was garage kept. Thats what I like about it so much is that mine is all original sheet metal without a bunch of patch panels. The nicer ones here have all been restored and patched up. You right its alot better to find one from like Arizona or Texas. My first one was a Texas car but it did have some rust or was wrecked at one time because the pas quarter was replaced and looked awful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.