Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Came across this interesting article in Yahoo Finance yesterday.
While the article cites the unattainable multi-million dollar exotics, the video has cool testimonial from American classic enthusiasts at the 1:50 mark.
The last quote definitely sums up me and perhaps many of the members on this site: “Buy one that you can personally afford, one that will bring enjoyment to your life, not a financial burden. Cars have brought a lot of friends into my life. It cuts through all language barriers.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/classic-cars-best-alternative-investment-163501671.html

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
interesting, but misleading when it comes to what the average person can afford. the demand for these type of cars(that the average person) is going to decrease as we pass on, sad to say that. never got mine for an investment anyway, just for the fun and feeling it gives me. :tu

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
There are two problems with cars as an investment.

1. Restoring a car will probably net you with $0.30-.50 of value for every $1.00 you put in it.

2. Collector car values go up and down as much or more than the general economy.

If your thought is to make money or preserve capital, you need to be very careful about what you buy, and when you buy and sell.

I think a better way to approach your intererest in cars is to buy what you can, with the primary purpose of enjoying it while you have it.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Owning a tri-5 is like having money in the bank.:tu

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Antique cars started to become an investment shortly after WWII, with what remained after the scrap drives. The huge baby boomer's cache may do two things: 1) drive down prices for all but the best examples*, and (2) call attention to their collectability with stronger competition with other established art forms, like paintings. Before paintings, ancient societies recognized other items as collectables, like swords and clay vessels. So cars will remain collectable.

* With more world-wide interest in antique US cars, values may not go down.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I've got mine to enjoy them personnally while I'm still here........not suprisingly, my daughter and son-in-law have caught the bug, too........so my cars will still be attending events long after I'm gone............that's a GOOD thing!

7,082 Posts
I'm with you Buster. Worth Never a consideration on mine and with 2 sons to carry on will not, probably almost forever, then the 5 grand babies get her. :congrats::flag6: :bowtier:, makes absolutely no difference on worth.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I realize that what we think of as neat cars may not appeal to the younger generation as a whole but I believe most of us would be very surprised. I know my son-in-laws, one in his early 30s, one in his mid 30s and one in his mid 40s are all interested in older cars. Just last week the one in his early 30s and I were driving together and we got to talking about cars. He told me he was really getting interested in getting a car that had no computers and he could work on. He has done some looking at the early Chevelles, but also he is interested in the 55-57 and early 60s Chevy pickups. I realize that those are not Tri-Fives but his desire to own a classic is there.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couldn't agree more, Texnet. I am 30 and bought my 55 last year. My father and uncle instilled the passion of classic cars in me at an early age; I made a promise to myself I would have one of my own someday.
What I never anticipated was how truly lucky and honored I feel to have this car. I enjoy reading stories and advice from members of this site and it makes me realize that the best part of owning a classic car is about preserving and carrying on a legacy for generations to come, just like you, Lloyd, Buster, Carl, and many other members are doing for your families. Even though I have only known modern cars growing up, there is no modern equivalent that could evoke the joy I have owning and driving my '55.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts