Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of the other "new guys," I have gotten a couple of well-timed answers to issues with my car from this forum, so I figured WTH.

About the car - 1956 Bel-Air 4-door hardtop. White/copper with matching interior (what's left of it). Newly-built .010-over 350 in front of a 700-R4. Stuff keeps breaking on it faster than I can fix it right now. Like everyone else, I have big plans for the car - some of them might seem a little weird, if not downright sacrilegious.

About the user name - it involves the old concept of four basic elements. Air - I jump out of planes and helicopters for the Army
Earth - I hike and geocache, and I have a degree in Geography
Fire - I was a volunteer fire fighter for almost four years back at Fort Bragg
Water - I used to scuba dive (can't afford to any more - too busy buying car parts).

About me - boring. Back to the car...

·
Registered
66,285 Posts
:hello: hi jay and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. very cool 56! :party0031:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may make a few enemies with this one but here, in general, are my plans for the car.

Since I'm headed to Afghanistan next month, I'll save up for the year and get an Art Morrison chassis when I get back.

Drivetrain only has a couple hundred miles on it, but I'll make some updates - specifically, one of those fuel injection systems that looks like an old set of velocity stacks (I forget who makes it just now), as well as a limited slip 12-bolt.

Hidden updates in the interior. I want the car to look mostly stock inside with all the upgrades hidden or subtle. Modern full-size truck power bench seats will be covered in the original '56 material and patterns. Modern stereo will be mounted in the glove box with the ashtray re-hinged at the bottom and converted into a hard-wired iPod mount. Passenger speaker/clock combo will flip out and down to reveal a flip-out navigation system.

And here's the weird part. I've always liked the looks of the '55s better than the '56s, but they didn't make a 4-door hardtop in '55. So I'm going to make the first one. It's "only" two back fenders, the front clip, and the side trim, right? (Yeah, I know the back doors will have to be reshaped when the rear fenders go on. I'm not looking forward to THAT project.)

Once all that's done, I've got two more "little" details I'm going to attempt - I'm going to suicide the back doors and I'm going to have a reputable fabricator turn it into a hard-top convertible. But that's YEARS down the road.

So - crazy?

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive Jay:wavey: :anim_25:with your 56... I don't mean to pop your bubble but I read some where that somebody already built a 55 4door hard top out of a 56... Build it your way and enjoy it... Later, Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:sign0016:to trifive Jay:wavey: :anim_25:with your 56... I don't mean to pop your bubble but I read some where that somebody already built a 55 4door hard top out of a 56... Build it your way and enjoy it... Later, Dave
Eh. It figures. Won't stop me from doing it the way I want it, though.

(And if I get the top hacked off - and still useable - it would HAVE to be the first '55 4-door hardtop convertible, right?)

Seems like a good bunch of folks around here. Thanks for all the welcome messages.

- Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.