Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that the paint on my 57 is starting to crack here and there. Especially inside the rain gutter. I want to know from owners of cars painted with single stage if this normal for a car that has been painted and restored about 10 years ago? Should I just do the touch ups, grin and bear it or is this happening prematurely? The car is ALWAYS garage kept, in a climate controlled environment when not on the road.
It could very well be the nature of that type of paint. Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I had acrylic enamel for 30 years on mine and it never cracked. Sat outside a couple years and no temp. controls in garage in MN.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
There's no pat answer here. It may have been too much film buildup, it may have been poor prep anywhere along the line. Maybe it should have been stripped to bare metal but wasn't. It may have been incompatible materials.

Answer this: Is the paint lifting off the primer, or is the primer lifting off the metal, or is it in between layers of primer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
A very similar problem with paint on my C10

There's no pat answer here. It may have been too much film buildup, it may have been poor prep anywhere along the line. Maybe it should have been stripped to bare metal but wasn't. It may have been incompatible materials.

Answer this: Is the paint lifting off the primer, or is the primer lifting off the metal, or is it in between layers of primer?
Okay, I have a similar problem with my 72 C10 along the "Drip Rail" and I think it was because the "Bare Metal" wasn't rough enough but I'll let you tell me. Along the drip rail on the side that actually looked the best...read no rust, is where the primer (PPG DP40) then K36, then lots of sanding and more K36, then Concept was applied. It lifter from the DP40 up! What caused that?

Really appreciate an answer because I wanna fix it soon and don't want the same problem to rise (yes a pun was intended) again.

Cheers
Larry McCarley

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Okay, I have a similar problem with my 72 C10 along the "Drip Rail" and I think it was because the "Bare Metal" wasn't rough enough but I'll let you tell me. Along the drip rail on the side that actually looked the best...read no rust, is where the primer (PPG DP40) then K36, then lots of sanding and more K36, then Concept was applied. It lifter from the DP40 up! What caused that?

Really appreciate an answer because I wanna fix it soon and don't want the same problem to rise (yes a pun was intended) again.

Cheers
Larry McCarley
my guess being the drip rail prolly to much paint and shrinkage
wayne

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
the dragon on my hood is cracking in 3 spots will be redone this winter the painter didn,t even know the reason

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hard to tell... but the paint isn’t lifting...just some thin cracks, perhaps more like fine splits. Longest one is about 3” long. Mostly in the drip rail. Could it be the putty underneath is drying up and causing the cracking? Haven’t seen any other problem areas on the car except at the top of the B pillar on the driver’s side (close to where the pillar meets the roof).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hard to tell... but the paint isn’t lifting...just some thin cracks, perhaps more like fine splits. Longest one is about 3” long. Mostly in the drip rail. Could it be the putty underneath is drying up and causing the cracking? Haven’t seen any other problem areas on the car except at the top of the B pillar on the driver’s side (close to where the pillar meets the roof).
That was the first thing I was going to ask.What type of putty was used as the seam sealer accross the driprail seam?ten years on a cheap putty would cause it.Bondo used for seam sealer(Yes,i have seen it....alot)would for sure cause it.if it seams to have rust coming out of the crack you could have rust coming through the underside of the roof seam,which would cause bubbling and cracking of the paint.It should be stripped and painted where the cracks are present.To get by a while a touch up paint in the crack might work if it was just do to high film build on K-36(I use Slick Sand by evercoat and dumped k-36 for seperation and cracks on high build areas)or epoxy coat,but they will return.If the paint cracked in the middle of a panel,I would look for filler problems.To muck hardner will cause cracking ussually across a hood,tops of fenders,trunk, where the sun bakes it.Good Luck.I hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts