Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Philadelphia! I'm ashamed to say I have no experience with cars. My father died recently and left his 1955 Chevy Hearse to me. I remember taking Sunday rides as a kid, but unfortunately he took it all apart a few years ago and there it sat. Here I am with a helpful friend trying to get it back together. Somewhere my dad is hopefully smiling. Thanks in advance for your patience with my inevitably idiotic questions. Cheers!
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,873 Posts
A panel truck used as a hearse? .. HOpefully without the casket/body though.. :)

What you have is a '55 Panel truck; same as the '55-57 3100 series trucks in most aspects.. Neat vehicles!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Are you planning on keeping it a hearse? Can’t say I have ever seen one. I believe that would draw some attention.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Welcome from Kansas. Your Dad is smiling what a better way to get you into cars by leaving you a great project.
Keep us posted and pic's we love pic's.

Later,
Kev

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,025 Posts
So they still greet people with "Yo" up there. Have an ongoing joke with my brother who calls me and says "Yo", I reply "Yo-Yo". Dumb but it works. I used to be in the very NW tip of Montgomery County bordering Bucks and Berks counties. Did they build a new road to replace the Schuylkill Expressway yet? Or as we used to call it, the "Sure Kill" expressway!

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
Yo! Welcome from Havertown, PA!

You will get pleanty of help here and no criticism of your lack of experience. We all started where you are and we are all glad you are now joing the fray.

Probably not a hearse. Likely what is known as a funeral service vehicle. In those days, especially in the philadelphia area, viewings were held in people's homes so the funeral director had to bring all manner of equipment to the house, chairs, flower stands, flowers, biers, lights, you name it. The opera lights on the side give it away a little. My father, grandfather and great grandfather were funeral directors and I have a pair of those exact lights from a similar panel wagon that my grandfather used during that period (along with the lettering of the name of the company that was on the side of the truck). I have had those lights for over 40 years and never saw another pair until this morning. How cool!

·
Registered
68,223 Posts
hi neighbor and welcome. good to have you here. sorry about your dad, he will be riding shotgun with you when you get it on the road.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Welcome to Tri-Five! As others have said, you don't have a true hearse, but what you do have looks like a panel truck with a very nice body! As one who's learned the hard way, there's not a whole lot of parts available for these trucks. Good luck with the project, whatever direction you take it in.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
7,855 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Tri-five.com from New Zealand

1 - 20 of 23 Posts