Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some shots of the 1955 Texas plate on the 150. Having non-standard bolt holes in the plate was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to mount the plate, light it and show it off without too much trouble. The LEDs are waaaay brighter than the taillights so I've got some LED taillights on order.

I received the metal tag from TX but it looks tacky. Since I'm stationed in Maryland, I think it'll stay in the glovebox until I'm told otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
68,758 Posts
had led taillights on my 55, were great. :tu ...........cool plate. :confused0006: you can use an out of state plate in md.?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I can keep TX registration and plates anywhere I live since I'm active duty military.
THANK YOU!!! :tu

At least you have a black car. The yellow and black plates don't look good on some colors. Texas changed to black and white colors in 57, so they look OK on my red and white 57. The black and yellow, not so good on red and white.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Very nice indeed.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly but do you have LED license plate light bulbs? I'd be interested in those if someone makes them.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
At least you have a black car. The yellow and black plates don't look good on some colors.
Exactly why I wasn't interested in them for my India Ivory/Regal Turquoise car.
I am happy with the custom plates I got. Texas gives us a huge choice on those. Lots of styles and colors to choose from.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Very nice indeed.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly but do you have LED license plate light bulbs? I'd be interested in those if someone makes them.

I bought a $15 LED light bracket from Autozone (the silver piece above the plate) that had 7"-spaced holes for mounting. It fit onto the 1957 bracket I got from Eckler's
HTML:
http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-license-plate-bracket-rear-1957.html
I'm not sure why my 55 had 7" holes like the 57 for the plate, but maybe that's a 150ism??

The Autozone LEDs worked out nicely since it covers up the top portion of the bracket, provides nice illumination of the plate, reflects off the bumper and looks like I have LEDs down there, too. I also thought about LED bolt lights, but covering the top portion of the bracket was better in the end.

If you have normal plate lights, an ebay search of "LED" and "bulb #" will result in lots of bulbs, most of which ship free from China. I got some for the instrument panel and front park lights.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.