Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you bought a car, brought it home and never told your wife?
I did in Mar. 1970. Married three months with no car, I bought our very first car (see avatar) for $75. Drove it home. She saw the car and started crying. It needed paint but that's all. Still have the car AND same wife.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Hmm, I wondering about this one. Mike

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
My wife & I went to a dealership to buy a car, brought her along so she could pick it, color, interior etc etc all the comforts she could possibly need.
I was going to go back later and close the deal without her. Turns out that there happen to be a very good salesman in on that day as he sold me a totally different car to what she had pictured. To top it off it even cost me more, if she was holding something sharp when I returned home she would have skinned me, could I get her to stop driving the car no, at the end of the day she loved it more than me :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I did in Mar. 1970. Married three months with no car, I bought our very first car (see avatar) for $75. Drove it home. She saw the car and started crying. It needed paint but that's all. Still have the car AND same wife.

Great story :tu:congrats:

...but how about now...does she still cry when she sees it?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got it painted that first summer (blue) and she has loved the car ever since. Women seem to like shiny cars regardless of make or year. I even took her to the hospital in the same car screaming and carrying on with our first child. We go waaaaaay back together. Oh, and by the way, those were NOT tears of joy!!!!

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
got both of mine on ebay, told her after I won them. better to ask for forgiveness then permission. ..................... and no, they never get over it. :damnmate:

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,188 Posts
2 times I have gone looking for new cars for my wife. I did all the leg work and price haggling etc. Took the wife later and gave her several choices. Both times she liked the one I did, but I never let on. I make(well made) the payments but they are/were her cars. She won't let me drive either, which I don't mind........she is a lead foot, more then me. Win Win both times. She put 200K on the first and the current is at 325K.

She never questions what I do with my old Chevys. Her new ones(all Chevys) don't let her down.......

Mikey

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's how I usually buy my guns... Lol. I did spring the 57 on her.. She was busy and needed some quiet time to do an online college course, had a clock that was running and a mandatory time line for the session, so I gave her a peck and said I'd be back with a car... I got the look and scooted... Came back a few hours later with the 57... She wanted to cry, but it came out as an evil glare... Till I finished, now she tolerates it

Attachments

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
I have bought a few old cars and brought them home, parked them out back and not told her. Figured they would just blend in and she would never know.......NOT. Don`t even try that one any more these days.
Terry

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I knew a guy who bought cars and kept them "off site" so she'd never see them and never find out about them. Haven't talked to him in years but I bet that didn't turn out well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Which time? 2 times come to mind. I will try to be brief. I picked up a 1960 Chevy. I called a friend who had a rollback and had him pick it up, and take it to his place until I could figure out what to do with it. I then put a car cover over my 62 that was in the garage that my wife saw every day. After seeing it covered up for a few weeks, I had my friend bring the 60 to my house one Saturday morning when I knew she would be gone. She was late leaving, and met him coming up the street hauling the 60, but she never noticed. I then moved the 62 out and replaced it with the 60 and covered it up with the car cover. She never noticed the switch. About 2 months later I unveiled the 60. One other time a bought a 70 Impala with disc brakes, a good 350 and Turbo 350 trans. After she left for work, I brought it home took the 350/350 out, removed the disc brake setup and hauled the rest to the recycler before she got home that evening. I didn't even spill a drop of oil on the driveway.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Since I don't have a wife yet I guess you could say I did the equivalent with my '51 Chevy. I did in fact buy the car without telling either one of my parents.. let's say that no part of me would like to relive the day I brought that one home..... :banghead:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, Don't you remember when I got this!

Had to respond to this one.

One night when the head lights were shining on my open garage door.

The wife said to me what is that another car in there?
I just replied the same line she uses on me all the time.

" Don't you remember when I got this" :confused0006:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
A few years ago I was looking for a straight axle (C1) Corvette for a restoration project. At the time I already had the 56 Belair and a 68 Corvette convertible. Finding and buying my 1960 Vette happened so fast I didn't get a chance to blink. I found it locally advertised in a Pennysaver ad. When I called the guy said he had about 25 calls for the car in two days, each one promising to be right over with the cash. I immediately left work, hit the bank for cash and drove straight to his place and bought the car. Two days later when the flat bed with me and the Vette backed down the driveway the wife came out yelling that I must have lost my mind. Then she yelled "you already HAVE a Corvette!" to which I replied "ummmm....no Hon....that one is......yours!" She hasn't complained since and she loves driving her Vette with the top down. She also loves it when people yell to her "hey lady is that your husband's car?" and she gets to reply "NOPE!":sign0020:

Don

·
Registered
868 Posts
i've bought several and not told her! she only got mad once, it was a fairly expensive 69 camaro.last year i bought a 64 tempest and stuck it in the back garage one day when she wasn't home. that was early spring, the door was open a lot over the summer so i know she saw it but she never said anything until a month ago! when she asked who's car that was, i told her i bought it to replace the camaro but then decided not to sell it. she never said anything else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just after I first got married, over 20 years ago, my mom was at my house as I was unloading a brand new air compressor. I was trying to get it into the work shop before the wife got home. My mom said does Lisa know you got that? My reply was I am planning on doing what dad has done for years, throw some dust on it and when she sees it tell her I have had that old thing for years. This has worked for over 20 years. On a side note it was not the best plan when I bought a airplane without her knowing about it, still was way better than asking for permission. Most recent procurement was a 2014 Camaro SS 1LE, I was pretty nervous bringing it home but as she was going off the deep end I just told her that I have been looking for one of these for 6 months so I had to buy it before it got gone. No time to run it by her. She was only mad for about an hr. went for a ride in it and all was good.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Like all of your stories. I did it al the time. Still do with antiques etc. Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts