Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned a valuable lesson this weekend that I thought I would pass on. I was at a show in Tunica when everyone was firing up to leave. There was a 66 Chevelle parked directly behind a 30 Model A Hot Rod. The two old guys in the Chevelle were loading up the trunk when the A Model fired his engine. Obviously he left the car in reverse when he pulled in and didn't have a neutral safety switch. The car fired and lurched backwards scaring the driver . . . Well if anyone knows anything about those little model A's, the brake and gas are very close (and very small). You can see what's coming . . . the old fellah hit the gas instead of the brake and hit both men, burying his bumper under the Chevelle. Both guys luckily were knocked clear of the cars, but were injured pretty bad. I heard they are both out of the hospital, so it wasn't near as bad as it could've been. GET A NEUTRAL SAFTEY SWITCH!! And if you in front of or behind a car that is getting ready to start, get off to the side of it!! You never know and it's better to be safe than sorry!

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Could have been a lot worse, good to hear they are out of hospital, thats what neural safety switches are for :tu

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
:secruity: darn those oldfarts. :damnmate:

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
:secruity: darn those oldfarts. :damnmate:
HEY!!!
Thanx for posting this reminder.I have to check & see if my streetrod has a neutral switch.With my size 15s there is NO room for error.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Sure hope everyone is OK. I always wiggle my shifter to make sure she is in neutral, and have foot on the clutch before I turn the key...just an old habit of mine.

Many years ago my uncle was trying to start an old snowmobile. After a half hour of fussing, and everyone standing around, he pulled that cord hard, and that thing just leaped, lunged forward was more like it, right into a big mid '70 chevy pickup parked about 10 feet away. The impact moved that truck back some, not to mentioned the carnage to both the snowmobile, and the truck. My grand father was mighty upset (no fault to my uncle) but had a kid been standing in front of that snowmobile, they would have been killed.

On a different note...came to this thread cause the title of your post took be back a few years to this oldie...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Glad they weren't injured worse than they were. My foot ALWAYS puts the clutch to the floor even if I know it's in neutral. Habit of mine from a lot of years of truck driving I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts