Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the 55 two door hardtop is missing its engine, and since I am not sure where to start, I thought I would get some input from all of you....what are my best options for fuel injection engines. year and make of vehicles....I am not looking at any thing new or rebuilt but what are some options that may be available......5.3 liter chevy two wheel drive pickup, what issues might I have with this option.....also any sugguestions or could you point me in the right direction for power stearing if I use a late model engine? currently just getting started with the project and could use your thoughts on the subject...

·
Administrator
49,959 Posts
The 5.3 Chevy engines make great engines for them. I want to install one in my 57 in the future. Check with BRP , one of the sponsors here on site about their mounts.
Terry

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
I agree with Terry, any of the small block chevys will work fine, but if you can get a fuel injected etc, engine will will run really good.

Otis:)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I agree with Terry, and Otis, your option's are unlimited basically. Just do you research, and once you get the engine decided on, go from there with what else you are wanting to do...................:anim_25:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
if you a starting from scratch, a 5.3 (327) from a truck is probably the best as to money. Any GM tranny will bolt to it, there is lots of aftermarket coverage. It is NOT going to be the easiest swap. I built a Gen 1 383, because I had a stockpile of parts. And I still ended up with EVERYTHING NEW except the block itself. But, it has just worked out better for me. And that is the biggest consideration. What is better for your situation. But again, if you are starting from scratch, a 5.3 might be your best bet over the life of you and the '55. And, it just sounds right to say 327 when talking about a '55 !!

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Any of the "LS" engines would be a great choice! LS1, LS2,[F bodies and Vettes] and the truck engines at 5.3, 6.0.
I'd use the trans that is matched to your choice, as all are overdive designs.
IE: I am using a 6.0 Hummer engine and the matching 4L65E trans.
If you are of the manual shift crowd, that engine will mate up to the 6 speed.
B4 you buy any of these engines, it would be a good idea to check w/ someone familar w/ the various yr/designs. There are some yrs that are better choices than others....

68,758 Posts
hi mike! :stupido2: another option to think about, maybe a crate eng. seems to be alot of good deals out there:anim_25:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if I went with the 5.3 or the (327) what would some of my options be for power stearing, any thoughts? I know there are lots of options out there and I want to start looking into some of them....and last thoughts on disk breaks.....can I pull some off of an older car and what years would work...or am I better off buying a kit and going that route?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
skip the 605 conversion and go straight to the "500" or what ever they are calling it now.
Cheap and good disk brakes would be the Chevelle conversion, all it takes is a bracket, everything else bolts on. Speedway Motors is a good source.

7,080 Posts
skip the 605 conversion and go straight to the "500" or what ever they are calling it now.

Some have had good luck with the 605 and that is wonderful. By far the most swear by the 500. Better mousetrap. :) Lloyd

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've got 4 old vehicles with small blocks in them ,so I'm getting kinda burnt out on them. I'm thinking of going with a big,built,straight six with this next project. Just want something different,time for a change for me-KB
PS I stay with carb motors ,,,just for the simplicity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts