Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently posted a thread re. serious sellers and this whole idea of buying another '57, got me thinking which could be dangerous. The car I would like to eventually purchase, would be a '57 Belair 4d ht. It would have to be done or very close to it. I'm presently not an active buyer. I do look a lot though and if the right car came along, I could have a sincere interest. Over a period of time, I noticed that there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in the '57 4d ht. and I'm not sure why. They seem to be a stepchild. They don't reproduce a lot of parts unique for that model. Their value is much lower then the Belair 2d ht and the Belair 2d sedan . I have to wonder why?? Am I missing something? Personally, I like them a lot. I like the sleekness of the way the rear roof melds into the body, the 4 doors could be convenient if you have company and the openness you have when all the windows are down. I really like the looks of this model car. But again, I don't want to get in over my head if there is something wrong with this model I don't know about. I know the condition/stability of the "B" pillar can be a concern. Trim parts could also be a concern if missing or in sad shape. I believe several members have a '57 Belair 4d ht. I see one in their Avatar. I would like to hear from them or anyone who has experience with owning this model. I know it can be said, your money, buy what you like, what makes you happy. I would subscribe to that approach. I just want to be as well informed as I can when it comes time. I thank everyone in advance for their replies, Carmine.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts
Carmine....Some will say a four door is a four door....However, I consider the four door sports sedan in a special category of its own...The ultimate double dating machine.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
A 57 4 dr ht would be my next choice. I really like that style too.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Carmine

Hi everyone. I recently posted a thread re. serious sellers and this whole idea of buying another '57, got me thinking which could be dangerous. The car I would like to eventually purchase, would be a '57 Belair 4d ht. It would have to be done or very close to it. I'm presently not an active buyer. I do look a lot though and if the right car came along, I could have a sincere interest. Over a period of time, I noticed that there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in the '57 4d ht. and I'm not sure why. They seem to be a stepchild. They don't reproduce a lot of parts unique for that model. Their value is much lower then the Belair 2d ht and the Belair 2d sedan . I have to wonder why?? Am I missing something? Personally, I like them a lot. I like the sleekness of the way the rear roof melds into the body, the 4 doors could be convenient if you have company and the openness you have when all the windows are down. I really like the looks of this model car. But again, I don't want to get in over my head if there is something wrong with this model I don't know about. I know the condition/stability of the "B" pillar can be a concern. Trim parts could also be a concern if missing or in sad shape. I believe several members have a '57 Belair 4d ht. I see one in their Avatar. I would like to hear from them or anyone who has experience with owning this model. I know it can be said, your money, buy what you like, what makes you happy. I would subscribe to that approach. I just want to be as well informed as I can when it comes time. I thank everyone in advance for their replies, Carmine.
Carmine,
2nd post about a 57 door HT recently. Sounds like to me that you got bit by a bug. Somehow, someday just someway soon, I have a feeling that you will OWN a 4 door HT. Nothing wrong with that.:congrats:
I have a 56 4 doot HT. So there. Mike

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Carmine...I know you maybe set on a 4dr 57 but the 2 dr looks fantastic with the windows down and. Ask yourself...how often are you going to cart 4 people around? I would think one of your generics suits that purpose. Occassionally, we have 4 people in Belle but thats maybe once or twice a year. I find it just as easy to lean the front seat forward for them to get in unless they're really large people. But, having said that, its your choice of course...

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
simple answer, 4drs are just cheaper. :damnmate:

·
Registered
37,298 Posts
I don't know if you're trying to steal one by getting a good deal or what.

But since they're not as popular, you should be able to get a good buy.

A 4 door hardtop project that has as much rust as some of these guys are trying to repair is a losing proposition because you can't find parts as readily. Don't be tempted on anything that needs rust repair within a foot of the B pillar.

·
Administrator
49,515 Posts
Over a period of time, I noticed that there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in the '57 4d ht. and I'm not sure why.
I agree there isn`t a lot of interest in supplying reproduction parts for the 4dr hardtop. But i do see a lot of them being sold. I have a nice project 57 4dr hardtop out back. But it looks like i won`t ever get to it myself.
Terry

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
I noticed that there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in the '57 4d ht. and I'm not sure why. They seem to be a stepchild. They don't reproduce a lot of parts unique for that model. Their value is much lower then the Belair 2d ht and the Belair 2d sedan . I have to wonder why??
Not the case over here seems everyone likes them and quite a lot of them here too, in fact a friend just a few houses away owns one ... must say I like em too .. beautiful roof line and practical with the extra doors

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
...... Personally, I like them a lot. I like the sleekness of the way the rear roof melds into the body, the 4 doors could be convenient if you have company and the openness you have when all the windows are down. I really like the looks of this model car......
:):tu Carmine, my opinion is that if you like the sport sedan, take your time and find a cherry one and buy it. I like them for the same reasons you stated and the fact that quite a few folks are prejudiced against anything with 4 doors will work in your favour towards getting one at a reasonable price.

Looks like this one sold for around $12,500 on the HAMB last year......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616646

Good hunting,

Harry

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's the same car, and I think it is, that guy is/was a member here and he tried selling it at this site also. He lived in Conn. at the time, not far from me. I emailed him a few times but nothing ever came of it. At that time, I already had my '57 Belair and really wasn't a strong buyer. The car looked real good/solid and had a 327/4 speed. He dropped the price several times and the car just wasn't moving. I think he may have gotten even less then $12,500.00 for it. Boy, I'd like to have that opportunity again. Thanx for the pics Harry.

Good advice RickL. The condition of the "b" pillar would be a major concern and focus.
Harry[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
4 doors are way underrated, which is good if your in the market for one. Before you know it everyone will want one and their price will go up. Be true to yourself and get something that Carmine wants, not what everyone else is driving, who want's a car that every second person has, it's good to be different. (IMHO).

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Anegs1957 & enigma57 Both 4 door hardtop cars are simply beautiful. Mike

·
Registered
961 Posts
The 57 4-door hardtop...

is the most overlooked one of the line. Usually they are quite affordable. They do have a propensity to rattle a little more going down the road. If buying one, pick a rust free example if possible, as repairs to critical components will get expensive.

I've thought for years they were undervalued as a collector car & surely the value would rise.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with the responses. I really think they are under rated and under valued. If the right one comes along, it will be in my garage, Carmine.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Carmine,
2nd post about a 57 door HT recently. Sounds like to me that you got bit by a bug. Somehow, someday just someway soon, I have a feeling that you will OWN a 4 door HT. Nothing wrong with that.:congrats:
I have a 56 4 doot HT. So there. Mike
Carmine what did I say in the earlier POST/THREAD above ? Mike

YOU SAID, "I agree with the responses. I really think they are under rated and under valued. If the right one comes along, it will be in my garage," Carmine.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I had wanted a 57 Sport Coupe for many years. The desire started when I was in JR. High as my girlfriends brother had one. Later in High School I purchased a 56 Sport Coupe and had lots of fun with it. About a year ago I ran across a 57 Sport Sedan and got it for a great price. I have since then grown to actually like the Sport Sedan more than the Sport Coupe because of the room in the back seat. I have 6 grandkids and 2 great grandkids. It is so much fun to take them and much easier in the Sport Sedan. I also like the wide open spaces with all 4 windows down.. MUCH more space than the Sport Coupe. While the Sedans, 2dr or 4dr, are nice I have never had a desire to own one and probably will never purchase one. I don't knock the sedans like some do the 4drs. I get just as many looks and comments and probably more than any Sport Coupe as you just don't see many around. They made less Sport Sedans and they haven't been saved.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts
Saw this nice Dusk Rose one on another thread...Beautiful color IMO...Not too crazy about the skirts though.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Saw this nice Dusk Rose one on another thread...Beautiful color IMO...Not too crazy about the skirts though.

Very nice David. Agreed, I could do without the skirts also. I'm not a continental kit guy either (don't mean to offend anyone), but that's just me. Thanx for the pic, Carmine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts