Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear what people have to say about the various liquid wrench-type products. I like PB Blaster, but it's more expensive than some of the others. I was wondering if wd-40 works as good, and if so, then why not just use the generic stuff from, for example, AdvanceAuto?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
PB Blaster is good stuff. Brake fluid works good also for rusted bolts. When trying to remove rusted bolts try to get the bolt or nut to tighten just a little bit before loosening. A lot of times it will break loose with out breaking the bolt off. I've done this on exhaust manifold bolts before with good sucess.
Dave

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,533 Posts
For me, I have always used Liquid Wrench or WD-40. There might be something out there better, just always used that stuff though.
Eldon

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the chemical make-up of WD-40 and LiquidWrench and PB Blaster pretty much the same?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Can't go wrong with "The Blaster"....buy it by the case!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Personally I won't bring WD-40 into the shop. Not that it doesn't work good, it does, but with ANY kind of paint work being done if that stuff get's on the surface in any way, including a wind blown mist, it creates a nightmare. No amount of surface cleaning seem's to really get it all gone.
I tend to use graphite powder's and lithium grease

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,533 Posts
Ahh.. I forgot about the fact that once WD gets on something, it never comes off. The only thing I have seen take it off completly is a bath with brake cleaner and a wipe up with Greased Lightning/Ammonia.

Not to hijack the thread, but I swear by Greased Lightning for cleaning grease, but NEVER get it close to paint... It will suck the paint right off.
Eldon

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like to use Gibbs oil and Blaster and sea foam . Gibbs stays around without evaporating right away its about ten bucks a can. Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts