Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The z bar bracket on my engine is about 1/2" lower than the bracket on the frame.Aren't these supposed to be straight across from each other?
I mounted the tranny crossmember brackets up 3/4" From the bottom of the frame.
If I shim the tranny mounts to get the z bar brackets lined up then the engine should be at or near the 4 degrees that I'm supposed to have .Correct?

Also is the z bar supposed to have some sort of bushings on the inside?

There are 266 posts on engine angle here.I went through 40-11 of them then decided to ask here.I apologize if its redundant..

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this question too stupid to answer?:sign0020:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Fred I remember a measurement somewhere that showed the center of the trans output shaft to be 2 or 2 1/2 inches below the top of the frame... I just can't remember where i saw it or the exact measurement...
Put a level on the long center frame rail section and on the carb mounting surface, when they read the same you should have your engine about right...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Fred

When I removed my 6 cyl, and installed the V8 I used the stock bellhousing and frame mounts along with the stock front V8 engine mounts to line up the rear cross member before mounting the brackets to the frame. This insured that the "Z" bar alignment was correct. When I bought my scattershield (used) it came with a bracket to be mounted to the bell housing for the ball stud for the "Z" bar. It was modified to raised the ball about 1/2=3/4" above the original location. I got this from a guy who used it in his 57. If you think this would help you I'll look and see if I still have it. I'll send it down to you no charge. Just let me know and I'll look around for you.

Don

Fred I just looked in my parts stash and found the bracket. It looks like it raised the ball stud about 3/4 to 1". I could send a photo to your e-mail tomorrow if you would like to see it. It looks like a square plate that bolts to the two bolts on the bellhousing and then has a standard bkt with the ball attached welded to the square bkt. If it's to high you could cut the welds and reweld it lower for a perfect alignment. Your if you need it.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts