Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys pretty hot subject about Zinc levels for our cars. So I have been doing some research to find out this information for AMSOIL Oils. Here is a quick look at what the levels are for a few of the oils AMSOIL offers.

All levels are ppm:

AMO 10w-40 Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil; Phosphorus 1265, Zinc 1378

ARO 20w-50 Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil; Phosphorus 1266, Zinc 1379

HDD Series 3000 Synthetic 5w-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil; Phosphorus 1266, Zinc 1379

AME 15w-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil; Phosphorus 1267, Zinc 1377

RD20 Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil 5w-20; Phosphorus 1424, Zinc 1575

RD30 Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil 10w-30; Phosphorus 1424, Zinc 1575

RD50 Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil 15w-50; Phosphorus 1424, Zinc 1575

AHR SAE 60 Synthetic Super Heavy Weight Racing Oil; Phosphorus 1265, Zinc 1375

All of this information came straight out of the AMSOIL TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) Flat Tappet and Camshaft Lobe Lubrications. I have provided links back to each oil if you would like to look in to one a little closer and the TSB itself. If I can provide yall with any more information about products or anything AMSOIL offers please fill free to PM, Email or give me a call.

Thanks for your time and hope yall find this information helpful.

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
thanks for info travis. :five:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was told zinc was beingt removed from all oils, even the Rotella. Is that not true?
Around here the local speed shop asks "this is for your "racecar"?". YUP!!
Then he will sell it to you.
It is my understanding that oils that still have zinc are to be used on "off-road vehicles only". Thus the whole "racecar" thing.

Clint

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told zinc was beingt removed from all oils, even the Rotella. Is that not true?
I can't really say about Rotella. I have heard that the level of protection that everyone is looking for with flat tappet is going down in most oils. That is why people are trying to find zinc additives to help get the number up for the best protection. Believe its something like 1200ppm is a minimum for the best protection.

Thanks guy and your welcome:party0031:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
From what I understand, Rotella now also has had most of the zinc removed since Diesels are now coming with catalytic converters. I used to use Rotella on flat tappet cams. Maybe it's time to switch over to Amsoil.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I understand, Rotella now also has had most of the zinc removed since Diesels are now coming with catalytic converters. I used to use Rotella on flat tappet cams. Maybe it's time to switch over to Amsoil.
Im not sure if Rotella has done this for sure. I would hate to say so and it not be the case. I do know the EPA/Government is making a lot of changes for diesels exhaust systems. I personally have seen it with my diesel compared to the new and older trucks. The information about zinc levels I posted about AMSOIL are still good and true. If I can be of any help please feel free to PM, Email, or give me a call. I will be more than happy to get you any information you may need. I offer wholesale pricing for TriFive members. :tu

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts