Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting a corvette ZF 6 speed in a 57? I have a 95 LT1 and 6 speed I wnat to put in my 57. LT1 no problems 6 speed don't know how much trouuble. I have all the bell housing clutch set up and all associated parts. Any help out there?

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
The ZF 6 speed came in C4 Corvettes.

The biggest deal is that parts are very hard to find and expensive, if you ever need to repair anything. They also have a reputation for being noisy. Another deal is that they use a "dual mass" flywheel and a special clutch.

I'd think twice about this if I had to spend any money to acquire it.

On the other hand, if I already had it and it was in good shape, I'd probably give it a try. But I'd be prepared to go in a different direction if anything went wrong. You will have to mount a hydraulic master cylinder and deal with the shifter location. And if you later replaced it with something like a T56, you'd have to do those two all over again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I actually work for ZF (the Aviation division, not Automotive) so i considered the ZF 6 spd about a yr ago to replace the old Saginaw in my 55. However...i quickly discovered, even if i got a "company discount", it would still be a very expensive swap...different flywheel, clutch, pretty extensive mods to floor for shifter, etc etc. Ended up going with a 700 R4 instead.

Bottom line is....I agree with Rick L was on all points. If you want a 6 spd...there are less complex and less expensive options available.

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Tim

Looking more like the old muncie may have to stay. Not a bad tranny I was just hoping for an overdrive. Actually, 4 speeds should be adequate with the correct gear ratio and tire size.

Mel

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
More on Trans

Thanks for the info Tim

Looking more like the old muncie may have to stay. Not a bad tranny I was just hoping for an overdrive. Actually, 4 speeds should be adequate with the correct gear ratio and tire size.

Mel
I just installed a Keisler Engineering RS600 five speed OD trans and it is awsome with its 2:80 first gear and 3:70 rear end and the OD makes the motor buzz at 2000 at 65 mph. This is the trans for me. But now they have a new trans called a Super Sport 700 which stands for 700 horse power and 700 foot pounds of torque that it will handle. Good luck
Garys Gearbox Gary Howard

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
Seems like everything that Keisler has offered as far as 5 speeds since they lost their loss of the Tremec distributorship has been more vapor ware than real product.

Do they really sell and ship the transmissions you mentioned? Are they competitively priced?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The rumor of ZF-6s being loud is just a rumor. I've owned my '94 Vette for 11 years and I've raced it, autocrossed it, and have generally have driven it hard. Still quiet and smooth shifting. I've driven newer Vettes with the T56 and they both have similar noise levels.

In the Vette world, no one looks forward to rebuilding/replacing a ZF because of the immense costs. Really the only guy I know who has a good rep with those trans is ZFdoc. You can google him if you want more info. I also would steer clear and look for a T56 or a TKO (5 speed).

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
The rumor of ZF-6s being loud is just a rumor. I've owned my '94 Vette for 11 years and I've raced it, autocrossed it, and have generally have driven it hard. Still quiet and smooth shifting. I've driven newer Vettes with the T56 and they both have similar noise levels.

In the Vette world, no one looks forward to rebuilding/replacing a ZF because of the immense costs. Really the only guy I know who has a good rep with those trans is ZFdoc. You can google him if you want more info. I also would steer clear and look for a T56 or a TKO (5 speed).
I had one in my '95 Corvette and I agree.

However, swapping is a different matter. I agree with the previous posts. I would never consider it. A good friend of mine put one in a Malibu and it was nothing but headaches for him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ZF Black tag 6 speed

Decided to fire up the LT-1 and check out the tranny before I did the install. Figured that would save me a lot of modifications to possibly end up with something less than what I was expecting.
Hooked up a good radiator and electric fan and the new fuel cell and pump I ordered for the 57. Entire drive line from radiator to tranny yoke is on my garage floor and I can start it and shift gears by shuuting down and changing gears and then re-starting. Engine sounds great after some problems with the painless harness and the vats system. Seems the ecm for the vett doesn't mesh well with the vats module from painless. After a coulple hours of phone calls to painless and little progress I purchased an ecm from a 95 Imapala and that works OK.

Engine great! Tranny not so much. I know these are great trannies but this one must have been abused horibly. Seems quite noisy through all gears. Don't know if that is normal noise but I don't think so. Going to back up and go a different way. The LT-1 is a bolt in with my 57 bell housing. I'll run the muncie till something else strikes my fancy.

Thanks to all for the info and advice!!!

:flag6:

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Keisler Engineering

Seems like everything that Keisler has offered as far as 5 speeds since they lost their loss of the Tremec distributorship has been more vapor ware than real product.

Do they really sell and ship the transmissions you mentioned? Are they competitively priced?
I ordered and paid for my Transmission in December and received it in August. I was very upset. Prior to this I had purchased a T 45 from them but never opened the box. This T-45 was all set up with the shifter in the right place. Then I learned about the RS 600. So I called them and asked if they would take the T-45 back and give me full credit toward a RS600. They agreed and then took more money and then I waited from December to August untikl I received the RS600. But when I received it they had failed to put the shifter in the correct location and so I shipped it back. Their promise of a quick turn around took..................................63 days...............................
So when I got it back with the new clutch assembly I installed everything and the car would not leave the curb...it just sat there and jumped up and down. Back out came the trans and clutch assembly and the clutch assembley went back to Keisler Engineering.
They called and said Whoops? we sent you the wrong clutch disc, here is a new clutch assembly.
What they did I have discovered is to mass advertise these trans, the RS600 and the Super Sport 700 then they sell the boxes and when they get enough money they contract with Legand gear for a run of gears, then assemble the trans and ship them out. I personally think that they should be up front with their customers and let them know how they are doing business.
I love my Rs600 with its synchronized reverse and proper gear spread
Garys Gearbox since the 1970's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.