Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to decide which motor I want for my '56 and I keep coming back to the ZZ502/502 Deluxe crate engine from GMPP.

I've looked at the ZZ383 from GMPP, but by the time I buy the carb, manifold, distributor, etc, the cost isn't that much more to buy the ZZ502/502 Deluxe and the ZZ502 has more horsepower and torque.

I have Turbo 400 and 12 bolt rear end with 3:55 gears, so the rest of my drive train is looking good.

I'd like to hear from ZZ502/502 Deluxe owners. Are you are happy with your decision, or would you have purchased something different if you had to do it over again? Is it difficult to get 567 lb.-ft. of torque to the ground? With an automatic, will the tires break loose from a 25-30MPH roll when stabbing the gas pedal?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Well I'm not running the ZZ502 but the old GM502, with about the same drive train as you (built TH400 and 12bolt). It works great!
I would never go for anything else... but that's just me :)

There are several other members here that are using the 502 and I haven't heard one complaint :tu

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not running the ZZ502 but the old GM502, with about the same drive train as you (built TH400 and 12bolt). It works great!
I would never go for anything else... but that's just me :)

There are several other members here that are using the 502 and I haven't heard one complaint :tu

Do you have traction problems (might not really be a problem). With an automatic, will the tires break loose from a 25-30MPH roll when stabbing the gas pedal?

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I put a ZZ502 into a friends shortbox truck last year..it will break the tires loose at 25-30 mph but it doesn't spin them hard and throw the rear out sideways:)

2800 rpm stall convertor and 3:73 gears

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
The wheels won't spin unless you want them too, I agree with chevynut, The Ramjet is the best way to go, If not the zz502 would be great, Either engine will increase your car or trucks value big time and give your classic the wow factor.

Otis :)

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
I ran a ZZ502/502 with a Richmond 5 speed in my 66 Malibu. It sounded great and hauled the oats, but it consumed more oil than I was comfortable with. It did not smoke or foul plugs, but oil consumption was an issue. I sold the Malibu after about 3,000 miles on the 502. I would buy a ZZ502again, but based on how pleased I am with my Ramjet 350 in our 57 BelAir, I would opt for the Ramjet 502.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran a ZZ502/502 with a Richmond 5 speed in my 66 Malibu. It sounded great and hauled the oats, but it consumed more oil than I was comfortable with. It did not smoke or foul plugs, but oil consumption was an issue. I sold the Malibu after about 3,000 miles on the 502. I would buy a ZZ502again, but based on how pleased I am with my Ramjet 350 in our 57 BelAir, I would opt for the Ramjet 502.

Sounds like you prefer the Ramjet 350 over the ZZ502/502? Besides the problem you had with the ZZ502/502 oil consumption, who do you prefer the Ramjet 350?

·
12,256 Posts
I think the oil consumption problem with he 502s was with the early engines that were intended for marine use. They have low tension oil rings in them. I don't know what mine has so before I actually run it I'm going to pull the pistons and replace the rings with better ones. I have heard some folks have 502s that don't use oil like others.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
I think the oil consumption problem with he 502s was with the early engines that were intended for marine use. They have low tension oil rings in them. I don't know what mine has so before I actually run it I'm going to pull the pistons and replace the rings with better ones. I have heard some folks have 502s that don't use oil like others.
Good information and sounds plausible. I have no idea exactly what my crate 502/502 was. It ran great and sounded awesome, but one had to pay attention to the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The problem with the 502's is GM does not beleive in plate honing and this shows what happens when the heads are torqued down and it's run, The pic clearly shows a fair amount of cylinder distortion and I would say poor ring seal from what I see which will cause oil control issues.

Here is a link I did a few years ago on plate honing!!
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58964

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
The problem with the 502's is GM does not beleive in plate honing and this shows what happens when the heads are torqued down and it's run, The pic clearly shows a fair amount of cylinder distortion and I would say poor ring seal from what I see which will cause oil control issues.

Here is a link I did a few years ago on plate honing!!
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58964
Is this still an issue with current 502 engines? they are to my knowledge pretty thin cylinder wall castings, would that be the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts