Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Eldon,

I don't recall seeing that combination on any 57 model, but certainly not on a Nomad at a CNA or NNC convention, nor do I recall seeing one that combo at any of the 30 or so national meets of trifives and nomads that I've attended. It doesn't look bad in that picture though.. :)

the colors are more mindful of the '56 combo of laurel green and crocus yellow... Do you think that was a valid color combination in '57??
I think '57 would be Laurel Green and Colonal Cream.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
The BelAir models with Colonial Cream paint had two optional interiors (yellow/black) or *silver/black...

Personally, I love the yellow/black interior in a colonial creme BelAir.. :)

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Beautiful car. Never car how that yellow/black interior came with a silver/black instrument cluster and steering wheel though (same as the same silver/black interior).
Thanks!

As far as black dash with silver instrument cluster and steering wheel, it seems that "when in doubt, go with black and silver": 1957 Chevrolet Specifications

FWIW, the car has a repro padded dash, replacing the factory installed one (as noted on the cowl tag). Interior and exterior colors are correct according to the cowl tag.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The BelAir models with Colonial Cream paint had two optional interiors (yellow/black) or *silver/black...

Personally, I love the yellow/black interior in a colonial creme BelAir.. :)
or silver/yellow for convertible

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
While neither rare or common, I wanted to post up an exterior/interior color combo I seldom see.
Paint code 626: Solid exterior convertible in coral.
Trim code 533: Coral and dark gray vinyl two-tone seats.
Oakland, CA assembly
Of note with this combo is the gray dash and gray steering wheel. When the respray was put on in 1995, the custom paint and body shop owner was very skeptical of the originality of this color combo. His paint supplier assured him it was legitimate. I stated to the shop owner that this was correct, as my father purchased this car new and it has never been out of the family for the past 67 years. When I was four, I rode in this car when it was brand new.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Steering part

Font Nameplate Electric blue Metal Number

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love Dusk Pearl, we used to have a dusk pearl Sport Coupe. One thing I noticed back in the days of these cars being just "used cars" was the Dusk Pearl tended to flake off more on the front fenders and hood than other colors. Or maybe it was just a coincidence I saw these particular cars. Silver-ish colors in general didn't hold up as well, paint-wise, as other colors back then.
Back then Chevies metallics weren't the best for holdout. BC/CC today are much better depending on how much you wan to spend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've always been interested in the stock factory colors on our beautiful cars. While I don't know if there might be regional aspects to the number of orders they took on these per color, I thought it might be fun to quiz you originality experts. I'll nominate two or three colors per year as rarest and most common, I am interested in your thoughts. We know Chevy didn't keep track of number of cars produced in each color, but our anecdotal observations must be worth something!

Rare:
Autumn Bronze, solid or in a two-tone
Onyx Black solid or with India Ivory (not super rare but not common)
Shoreline Beige or India Ivory as a solid color
Copper Maroon
Navajo Tan seems fairly rare

Common:
Regal Turquoise/India Ivory
Glacier Blue
Neptune Green
Shadow Gray/Coral (I hesitate to say this great combo was exactly common, but I have seen a fair number of them over the years)

Rare:
Dusk Plum/India Ivory
Inca Silver/Imperial Ivory
Dawn Gray (I'm vague on what this looked like; maybe I've mistaken it for Inca Silver).
India Ivory as a solid color
Onyx Black as a solid color on Bel Airs.

Common:
Matador Red/Ivory or Beige
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Crocus Yellow/Onyx Black- my favorite '56 combo. Not super common, but I've seen a fair number over the years.
Tropical Turquoise/India Ivory

Rare:
Laurel Green with or without Colonial Cream
Coronado Yellow solid or w/India Ivory
Harbor Blue (not super rare but kinda uncommon)
Larkspur Blue (ditto)
Highland Green (ditto)
Surf Green
Adobe Beige as a solid color
India Ivory as a solid color

Common:
Matador Red/India Ivory (on BelAirs, anyway)
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Onyx Black (much more common on '57s than 55 or 56 I think)
Tropical Turquoise/India Ivory
Canyon Coral/India Ivory
Colonial Cream/India Ivory
Dusk Pearl/Imperial Ivory

Note that color I listed first above is main body color, second is top or contrast color. And in this era a solid color of any kind is rarer than a two-tone, except for the 150s.

Of interest to me also are possibility that certain colors are more common on certain models or bodies. For example, for awhile it seemed to me that every 1957 210 four-door sedan was Canyon Coral, whereas you would rarely see a Bel-Air Sport Coupe in that color. Also, Matador Red was often found on Sport Coupes but seemed rare on 150s.

Onyx Black seemed much more popular in 1957 than '55 or '56. Of course the speed streak on '57 BelAirs looks great on Black cars.

What do you guys think? Give me your rarest/commonest colors by year!
Under the 1956 you did not mention Grecian Gold and Calypso Cream. Had a hardtop that color.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My '56 Belair 2 dr HT exterior was originally all India Ivory. Colors, IMO, are somewhat regional. If you lived in the south, you'd prefer lighter colors, to keep out the heat. Remember, those were the days of RARE, expensive Air Conditioning, so if you lived in say South Texas - where my '56 is from - you'd prefer White to keep out the heat.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,076 Posts
My '56 Belair 2 dr HT exterior was originally all India Ivory. Colors, IMO, are somewhat regional. If you lived in the south, you'd prefer lighter colors, to keep out the heat. Remember, those were the days of RARE, expensive Air Conditioning, so if you lived in say South Texas - where my '56 is from - you'd prefer White to keep out the heat.
Same with Florida.

Reactions: TheProphet

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
That's a nice example... :) and Yes, pretty rare as the color was only available 'half the year'...

Reactions: JRM
121 - 140 of 145 Posts