Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,655 Posts
Can someone with 'ready access' to a Finger tip Facts document check and see if those color percentages are contained in it??
I would Gary, if I was over "there"....But, I'm "here" :D

·
Registered
57 Bel Air 2 door hardtop
192 Posts
Welp...I'm seeing it as paint code 822 here on Danchuk's Original Specs chart: https://www.trifive.com/d1/specs/19. Original Specs.pdf

822 210 Dusk Pearl 88790354 Imperial Ivory 88559931 Dusk Pearl 812
Looking at the paint codes in the back of the OL'55 catalog, 822 is Imperial Ivory (upper color) over Dusk Pearl. I just thought it would be strange combo to have a Dusk Pearl roof over a white body. I'll have to look to see what the paint code is in mine, but I'm pretty sure it is either 821 or 822.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
54,655 Posts
Looking at the paint codes in the back of the OL'55 catalog, 822 is Imperial Ivory (upper color) over Dusk Pearl. I just thought it would be strange combo to have a Dusk Pearl roof over a white body. I'll have to look to see what the paint code is in mine, but I'm pretty sure it is either 821 or 822.
Not sure which is correct...However, the Danchuk chart says Dusk Pearl Upper with Imperial Ivory lower: https://www.trifive.com/d1/specs/19. Original Specs.pdf I tend to agree with you though.

Quite a discussion here: paint color 822 OA

Wood Picture frame Rectangle Font Art

·
Registered
192 Posts
The paint code on mine is 8220A. There was a little white paint left on the roof, and the original dusk Pearl was behind the side trim, but the car was "basket case" blue when dad got it in '84 or '85.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
I've never seen or heard of a '57 with dusk pearl on the roof and imperial ivory on the lower. That has to be a misprint or just plain ERROR in the Danchuk catalog if that is what it says. There are a couple of exceptions (or flips) specified in the gm docs, but in general the lighter color is always on the roof (principally because not many fifties cars were ordered with AC)..

·
54,655 Posts
Agree Gary...Here's a real nice example

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
No pie charts any of the Fingertip Facts, ‘55, ‘56 or ‘57. As those were originally produced for dealership sales staff, I don’t see how they could have those charts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just went out to the shop and took a picture of the tag. Dad removed it while he was doing the body work. It was lightly blasted to clean it and has not been touched since, other than to place it in the glove box when the car was done.

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Let's Check what he says is 'pretty close'......?

On May 6 George55 wrote:
"For a fact the absolute rarest color on a 55 belair are gray over coral. My book from chevy backs this claim. "
-----------------------------------------

Per the data posted by Pops:
gray over coral: 6 %
India Ivory/Dusk Rose: 6 %
India Ivory / Navajo tan: 6 %
Seamist Green/Neptune Green: 5%
Glacier blue/ShorelineBeige: 2%
Regal Turquoise/India Ivory: 2%
Autumn Bronze / Shoreline beige: 1%
Shoreline Beige/Autumn Bronze: 1%
Copper Maroon is also a rare color which wasn't even listed with a percentage!

So by my tally, There are two other color combos that are as RARE as gray/coral, and 5 or 6 that are more rare than coral/gray~

Reactions: JRM

·
54,655 Posts
I'm curious what the production numbers were like for Harvest Gold / India Ivory in 55... Just curious
No official records were ever kept

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
The link which Pops posted earlier shows Harvest Gold/India Ivory as 10% (which seems like a lot more than I recall from memory of what was being driven around in the 50s and 60's...?)

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
No pie charts any of the Fingertip Facts, ‘55, ‘56 or ‘57. As those were originally produced for dealership sales staff, I don’t see how they could have those charts.
There's your clue. If Fingertip Facts were for selling new cars, they wouldn't have contained the statistics for the results of sales at the end of the model year.

Not to argue with Pops, but until I see a verifiable reference on where those pie charts came from, I can't take them seriously.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Reactions: Carson Blocks

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
There's your clue. If Fingertip Facts were for selling new cars, they wouldn't have contained the statistics for the results of sales at the end of the model year.

Not to argue with Pops, but until I see a verifiable reference on where those pie charts came from, I can't take them seriously.
I have the same reservations, but it IS the most detailed (and possibly 'close') accounting of color distribution from the trifive Chevy years... even though we don't have attribution information for it... we can call it "POPS color charts".. :)

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
For the Nomad folks, is this a common scheme?

View attachment 365611
Eldon,

I don't recall seeing that combination on any 57 model, but certainly not on a Nomad at a CNA or NNC convention, nor do I recall seeing one that combo at any of the 30 or so national meets of trifives and nomads that I've attended. It doesn't look bad in that picture though.. :)

the colors are more mindful of the '56 combo of laurel green and crocus yellow... Do you think that was a valid color combination in '57??

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,076 Posts
Not sure, will have to look. It’s the most unique “originalish” colors I’ve seen on a Nomad.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts